Another year has passed and millions of Canadians are making New Year’s resolutions. One of the most common resolutions made at the beginning of the year is to lose weight, live a healthier lifestyle and exercise more. Unfortunately only 8% of individuals are successful in keeping their New Year’s resolutions.1 Statistically speaking, that is A LOT of failed attempts at reaching fitness goals.
So, what are the keys to meeting your fitness goals? I’ve come up with a list of the most important things to consider when making and meeting your fitness goals this year.
1. Write down your fitness goals. This is so critical! Write it down and place it somewhere you can see it on a regular basis. This will keep your goal on your mind, and prevent your goal from slipping into the cracks and completely forgotten.
2. Make your goals specific. General fitness goals, such as I want to “run faster” or “live healthier”, are very difficult to quantify. How do you know you have reached your goal if you cannot measure it? A better goal would be: “I want to run a 5K race in under 25 minutes.” A general goal would be as bad as saying you are going on vacation west, but that you have no specific destination.
3. Make exercise a part of your daily routine. Exercise does not always have to be structured. You should get 30 minutes of moderate intensity physical activity every day. Walk the dogs, take the stairs instead of the elevator, ride your bike to work, walk to the store. This 30 minutes of physical activity does not have to be all at once. Keep track of how much physical activity you have done throughout the day. And remember, you do not have to stop at 30 minutes per day!
4. Keep it fun! Exercise does not have to be boring or difficult. Try something new like swimming, kickboxing, Zumba, or skating. There are so many exciting forms of physical activity out there! And you never know, you may discovery a hidden talent.
5. Hire a personal trainer. Finding the right personal trainer will provide you with a tremendous amount of expertise. In addition, they will be able to motivate you. As soon as you have set up an appointment to meet a trainer, you suddenly have a greater motivation to keep you appointments and work your hardest.
1. http://www.statisticbrain.com/new-years-resolution-statistics/. Retrieved January 10, 2014.